Office hours: Tuesday: 10.30-11.30, Thursday: 17.15-18.30
Phone: 28310 77229
Eleni Katsarou, Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor of Curriculum Theories and Teaching Methods in the Department of Philosophy and Social Studies, University of Crete, Greece. She graduated from the School of Philosophy at Athens University where she also did her postgraduate studies (Ph.D. 1998 and post-doc 2002). She has worked as a teacher in secondary education for more than ten years.
- 2016- 2020 Associate Professor, Department of Philosophy and Social Studies, School of Philosophy, University of Crete
- 2010 - 2016 Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy and Social Studies, School of Philosophy, University of Crete
- 2006—2010 Lecturer, Department of Philosophy and Social Studies, School of Philosophy, University of Crete
- 2000-2004 Temporary Lecturer, Department of Philosophy, Pedagogy and Psychology, School of Philosophy, University of Athens, Greece
- 1998-2002 teacher in secondary education working in research projects at the Pedagogical Institute (Athens) and at the Centre of Educational Research (Athens)
- 1987-1998 Teacher in secondary schools
AREAS OF INTEREST
Educational action research, curriculum studies, literacy and multiliteracies
- Katsarou, E. & Tsafos, V. (2003). From Teaching to Research. The Educational Action Research. [in Greek]. Athens: Savalas.
- Katsarou, E. (2016). Educational Action Research. A multi-paradigmatic approach to the transformation of the educational practice. [in Greek]. Athens: KRITIKI.
- Katsarou, E. (2020). Democracy in School. Prospects created by the use of Action research and Critical Literacy [in Greek]. Athens: KRITIKI.
Papers in Journals and chapters in books (in English)
- Katsarou, E. & Sipitanos, K. (2019). Contemporary school knowledge democracy: possible meanings, promising perspectives and necessary prerequisites, Educational Action Research Journal, 27 (1) (special issue on Κnowledge Democracy): 108-124.
- Katsarou, E. & Sipitanos, K. (2019). Producing and disseminating marginalized knowledge through students’ drawings, videos and crafts, Punctum International Journal of Semiotics, 5 (1): 92-113.
- Katsarou, E. & Tsafos, V. (2018). Official Educational Policy and Action Research in the Era of Crisis: The Case of Greece, Journal of Education & Social Policy, 5(1): 221-229.
- Katsarou, Ε. (2017). The multi-paradigmatic character of contemporary educational action research: a promising perspective or an underlying threat?, Educational Action Research, 25(5): 673-686.
- Sfakianaki, A. & Katsarou, E. (2017). Teacher-researchers’ discourse as evidence for their professional development towards a democratic school. Ιn the Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference: Literacy and Contemporary Society: Spaces, Discourses, Practices, (pp. 566-579), 28-29 November, Nicosia, Cyprus.
- Katsarou, E. & Tsafos, V. (2016). Recognising participants’ professional identities through analysis of narratives in educational Action Research, International Journal of Action Research, 12 (3), pp. 248-271.
- Katsarou, E., Strantzalos, A., Arsenakis, A., Dargenta, D.E., Dimitriadi, K., Drandaki, A., Gourgolitsa, M., Hatzielanidis, P., Kakogianni, K., Panagiotaki, E., Papadopoulou, P. & Renieri, I. (2015). Alternative students’ assessment in a junior high - school in Greece: A teaching and research intervention. In Grollios, G., Liambas, A. & Pavlidis, P. (eds.). Proccedings of the IV International Conference on Critical Education “Critical Education in the Era of Crisis”, pp. 357-389, http://www.eled.auth.gr/
- Katsarou, E. (2014). Critical action research and the challenge of postmodernism. Perspectives and limitations. In Thomas Stern, Franz Rauch, Angela Schuster, & Andrew Townsend (eds.). Action Research, Innovation and Change: International Perspectives across disciplines, pp. 191-201. Taylor & Francis.
- Katsarou, E. & Tsafos, V. (2014). Using action research in curriculum development in a fully-controlled educational context: The case of Greece, European Journal of Curriculum Studies, 1 (2), pp. 141-161.
- Frydaki, E. & Katsarou, E. (2013). The Crucial Role of Teachers’ Dialogic Practices in an Educational Action Research. Journal of Teaching and Teacher Education 1 (2), 73-87.
- Katsarou, E. & Tsafos, V. (2013). Action research as a means for reforming curriculum. In Morgado, J.C., Alves, M.P., Vianna, I., Ferreira, C., Seabra, F., Van Hattum-Janssen, N. & Pacheco, J. A. (eds). Proceedings of the European Conference on Curriculum Studies. Future Directions: Uncertainty and Possibility. Bragua: University of Minho, pp. 234-239.
- Katsarou, E. & Tsafos, V. (2013). Student-teachers as researchers: towards a professional development orientation in teacher education. Possibilities and limitations in the Greek university. Educational Action Research 21 (4), pp. 532-548.
- Katsarou, E. & Tsafos, V. (2010). Multimodality in L1 Curriculum: the case of Greek Compulsory Education, Critical Literacy: theories and practices, 4:1, pp. 48-65.
- Chatzidaki, A. & Katsarou, E. (2010). Teachers’ professional development in Intercultural Pedagogy: a case from Greece. In Christos Govaris & Stavroula Kaldi (eds.), The Educational Challenge of Diversity in the International Context, Munster / Westfalen: Waxmann Verlag.
- Katsarou, E. (2009). Literacy in the Greek educational context: the aspects of Literacy promoted by the Language Curriculum of the Junior High School. L1-Educational Studies in Language and Literature, 9 (3), pp. 49-70.
- Katsarou, E. & Tsafos, V. (2009). Students’ Subjectivities vs. Dominant discourses in Greek L1 Curriculum. International Journal of Learning. 16,11, pp. 34 -46. Common Ground Publisher, University of Melbourne, Australia.
- Katsarou, E. (2009). A multiliteracy intervention in a contemporary “mono-literacy” school in Greece, International Journal of Learning. 16,5, pp. 54 -65. Common Ground Publisher, University of Melbourne, Australia.
- Katsarou, E. & Tsafos, V. (2008). Collaborative school innovation project as a pivot for teachers’ professional development: the case of Acharnes’ Second Chance School in Greece, TeacherDevelopment, Volume 12, Issue 2, pp. 125 – 138.
- Katsarou, E. (2008). Students research and modify teaching and their perceptions of a subject: a students as co-researchers approach, Action Research Expeditions, e-journal.