Assistant Professor of PsychologyOffice: 006
Office hours: Tuesday 15:00-17.00, Wednesday 09:30-11:00
Phone: 28310 77232
- B.A., University of Athens, Athens, Greece. School of Philosophy, Department of Philosophy, Education and Psychology Major Psychology; First Class Honors) , 1984-1988
- Ph.D., University of Bristol, Bristol, U.K. (Social Psychology), 1989-1994
Major subject: Aesthetic Experience and Self-Esteem
Thesis Supervisor: P.W. Robinson; Internal: N. Freeman; External: D. Fontana
- M.A., Institute of Education, University College, Department of Arts and Design in Education, London, U.K. (Artistic Communication: Dissertation Advisor: Roy Prentice), 1994-1995
- Certificate in Life-drawing and Engraving, School of Art and Design British Royal Academy of Arts, Filton College, Bristol, U.K., 1991-1992
Teaching and Research Experience
- 2000—present Lecturer, Department of Philosophy and Social Studies, School of Philosophy, University of Crete
- 2002—2003 Visiting Fellowship, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE), Department of Human Development & Applied Psychology, University of Toronto, Canada. (advisor Prof. Keith Oatley)
- 1997—2000 Temporary Lecturer, Department of Philosophy and Social Studies, School of Philosophy, University of Crete, Greece
- 1996—1997 Temporary Lecturer, Department of Education, University of Thessalia,
- 1994—1995 Post-Doctoral Fellow & Visiting Research Associate,University of Warwick, Department of Arts Education, Program: Arts Education & Cultural Studies.
- 1993—1994 Research Assistant, Department of Psychology, University of Bristol, U.K.
- Psychology of emotions: cultural diversity and universal structures
- Psychology of Self—experiential self
- Psychology of arts/aesthetic experience and creativity
- Artistic communication and expressivity in art
- Drawing and aesthetic development
- Stamatopoulou, D. (in press).Perception of emotional expression in line-drawings created by
artists. Hellenic Journal of Psychology.
- Stamatopoulou, D., & Saxaridou, D. (in press). The development of aesthetic sensitivity to style in preschoolers regarding modern art paintings: issues related to aesthetic education. Art in Early Childhood Research Journal.
- Stamatopoulou, D. (2007). Embodied imagination: Emotional expression perception of
dynamic line-drawings created by artists. Imagination, Cognition and Personality, Vol 26 (3), 213-248.
- Stamatopoulou, D. (2004). Integrating the philosophy and psychology of aesthetic
experience: Development of a scale measuring aesthetic experience, Psychological Reports, 95, 673-695.
- Stamatopoulou, D., & Kyrkoulis, G. (2004). The role of athletic activities in the
construction of identity as an intervention strategy to rehabilitation centre for addicts. Current issues, (Greek interdisciplinary journal), vol.27(85), 67-77.
Books & Book Chapters
- Stamatopoulou, D. (2007). Mimesis as an embodied imaginative act and the paradox of
Tragedy: Implications for the role of negative emotions in art and empathic morality.
In L. Singel (Ed.), Philosophy and Ethics: New Research, pp. 171-218. New York: Nova Science Publishers.
- Saxaridou, D., & Stamatopoulou, D. (in press). The development of sensitivity to style in pre-
schoolers (in Greek). In M. Pourkos (Ed.), Art, Psychology and Education: The psychological role of arts. Athens: Atrapos Publishers. (in Greek)
- Stamatopoulou, S. D. (1998).Aesthetic cultivation and expressive behavior of Preschoolers.
Athens: Kastaniotis Press. (in Greek)
- Stamatopoulou, S. D. (1997). Meaning and Art. Athens: Courier Press
EPE. (in Greek)
Articles published in Conference Proceedings
- Stamatopoulou, D. (2006). The linkage of emotion, perception and action in artistic
communication: artists’ vs. non-artists’ emotional expression perception of dynamic line-drawings. In H. Gottesdiener & J., Vilatte (Eds.), Culture and Communication: Proceedings of the XIX Congress of the International Association of Empirical Aesthetics, (pp. 521-526). Avignon, August, 2006.
- Stamatopoulou, D. (2005). The language of emotions and the language of arts: paradoxically
cultural and human. In Proceedings of the International Congress on Aesthetics, Psychology of arts and Creativity (pp. 214-217). Perm, Russia, June 2005: Institute of arts and culture. ISBN 5-89357-205-X
- Stamatopoulou, D. (2003): Children’s scribbles as an exemplar hypothesis of the “embodied
mind” (Brief Report). Consciousness & Experiential Psychology, 2003, No 9, 16-17. ISSN 1462 6039. http. www.warwick.ac.uk/cep/seventh_annual_conference.html
- Stamatopoulou, D. (2002). Aristotle on emotions as objects of aesthetic pleasure. Paper
presented at the 8th International Congress of International Society for the Empirical Studies of Literatute, University of Pecs, August, 2002, Hungary. [on-line paper]: http:www.btk.pte.hu/igel/igel.html & http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/igel/IGEL2002/Proceedings.htm
Articles under review & papers in preparation
- Stamatopoulou, D. (submitted, under revision). Children’s scribbles: A microgenetic case-
study examination of the transition to symbolic communication in making-marks activities”. Developmental Processes.
- Stamatopoulou, D., & Cupchik, G. (in preperation). Revisiting an old idea: The evaluation,
activity and potency dimensions as predictors of emotion recognition of emotional expression in artistic line-drawings. (to be submitted: Perceptual and Motor Skills).
- Stamatopoulou, D. (August, 2007). On the dual nature of touch: Developmental trends
regarding the imaginary visualization of tactile experience across conditions differentiated in the foci of experience. 13th European Conference on Developmental Psychology, Jena, Germany.
- Sacharidou, D., & Stamatopoulou, D. (February, 2007).The development of aesthetic
sensitivity to style in preschoolers regarding modern art paintings. Paper presented at the 2nd International Conference Art in Early Childhood. Australia.
- Stamatopoulou, D. (August, 2006). The linkage of emotion, perception and action in artistic
communication: artists’ vs. non-artists’ emotional expression perception of dynamic line-drawings. Paper presented at the XIX Congress of the International Association of Empirical Aesthetics, Avignon, France.
- Kyrkoulis, G., & Stamatopoulou, D. (July, 2006). Interpersonal relations, strategies of cope-
with and mental health of individuals in therapeutic programs. Paper presented at the International Conference of the International Association for Relationships Research, Crete, Greece.